This week is National Nurses Week and we couldn’t be more excited. Every year, national Nurses Week spans from May 6th and ends on May 12th. Did you know nursing was ranked the most honest and ethical profession for the past 16 years? That’s right! Check out some of these very interesting fun facts about how amazing nurses are!
National Nurses Week Facts
- There are currently over 2.9 million nurses in the United States.
- Nurses are consistently named one of the most trusting professions.
- The New England Hospital for Women and Children, established in 1862, was the first nursing school in the United States.
- The 1st nursing school in the world was established in India in 250 B.C.
- There are over 100 nursing professions to choose from.
- Linda Richards became the first nurse to earn a nursing diploma in the United States in 1873.
- In 1846 the first hospital training school for nurses, the Institute for Protestant Deaconesses, was established in the town of Kaiserwerth, Germany.
- According to the latest data available to the World Health Organization, Finland, Norway, Monaco, Ireland and Belarus have, in that order, the highest ratios of nurses per capita of all nations, ranging from 2162.0 to 1182.0 nurses per 100,000 people.
- The National Association of School Nurses recommends nurse-to-student ratios should be one to 750 for general populations, one to 250 in mainstreamed populations and 1 to 125 in severely handicapped populations
- The National Association of Colored Graduate Nurses was formed in 1908.
Host Healthcare Travel Nurse
Host Healthcare offers an extensive list of travel nurse jobs. Call one of our friendly recruiters at (844) 812-8094.