A speech language pathologist uses a variety of tools and technologies to assist with evaluation, diagnosis and rehabilitation of individuals both young and old. Whether it is assessing communication and oral motor skills, monitoring language development through speech and cognition, or evaluating swallowing abilities, the speech therapy tools and technologies available are as comprehensive as the field itself. For the traveling SLP, most of these items can fit comfortably into one bag. The list below outlines the frequently used tools for speech language pathology.
Frequently Used Tools for Speech Language Pathologists
#1 Adaptive Communication Switches
- Infrared Switches
- Jellybean Switches
- Sound Switches
- Touch Switches
#2 Sound Measuring Apparatus / Decibel Meter
- An Electroglottograph (EGG)
- Diagnostic Stroboscopes
- Video Stroboscopes
#4 Tablet Computer
- Tablet devices such as the iPad, Google Nexus and Samsung Galaxy are changing the way SLPs interact with their patients. Not only are tablets engaging, but they are portable, affordable, and multifunctional; not to mention there are a whole host of apps out there specifically designed for speech language pathologists.
- The iPad for instance is gaining popularity among speech pathology professionals in part because patient therapy can be carried over at home. For the travel SLP, this is one especially light speech language therapy tool to have on hand.
#5 Voice Synthesizer
- Augmentative Communication Devices – Read a recent CNN article on AAC, and how iPad technology gives voice to kids with autism.
- Therapeutic voice synthesizers
#6 Analytical Software
- Language Analysis Software
- Signal Analysis Software
- Speech Analysis Software
#7 Medical Software
- Aphasia Treatment – Aphasia Tutor by Bungalow Software
- Multi-Speech – KayPENTAX
- Speech Training System – Video Voice
- Text to Speech – Universal Reader by Premiere Assistive Technology
#8 Office Software
- Email Application – Outlook
- Word Processing – Word
- Spreadsheet – Excel
Host Healthcare Travel Therapy
Speech Language Pathology professionals can benefit greatly from taking their skills on the road. For instance, working in a new environment can help you learn how to use new tools and technologies for your therapy sessions as well as expand your professional and social knowledge base. Furthermore, all of the newly acquired skills and experiences gained from a travel SLP assignment can enhance your resume. Do you know of any other useful speech therapy tools and technologies?
In conclusion, we hope you are still excited about being a travel therapist. Host Healthcare offers many travel therapy benefits. Benefits include: competitive pay, tax-free tuition reimbursement, and a mentorship program for new grad travel therapists. The choice is yours. Browse through our extensive list of travel therapy jobs or call one of our friendly travel therapy recruiters at (800) 585-1299. We are here to help you to get started.